New research suggests that as the brain gets hooked on cellphone technology, the mind weakens.
- We check our phones 80 times a day — According to stats that Apple keeps.
- That’s 30,000 times a year! – Far more than anything humans do so it is no surprise that the smartphone usages directly affects intelligence.
- Phones shape our thoughts when we’re not using them – As the brain grows dependent on technology, the intellect becomes weaker.
- Even one ring or a vibrate starts a path of distraction that makes it hard to focus. This delays reasoning and performance. Just one ring – even when we don’t look at the phone – starts this process.
- Blood pressure and pulse quickens – Just hearing a ring or vibrate sound and we are unable to respond according to a study of iPhone users.
- The argument for hiding your phone – A study of undergrads at The University of California San Diego shows test takers did worse when their phones were within view and students who left their phones in a different room did best. As the phones proximity increased, brainpower decreased.
The dumbing down didn’t just apply to intellect.
Social skills and relationships are adversely affected because they are a reminder of all the people we can connect with electronically and it distracts.
Smart move: reign in smartphone use for its many benefits and take seriously its disadvantages that over time can be very concerning.
Subscribe to these Day Starters for free here.
Share them with friends and family by forwarding this email or posting to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media with my permission.
Read my book Out of Bad Comes Good, The Advantages of Disadvantages here.
Don’t want to get these emails anymore? Unsubscribe below.
Read more recent articles:
Comment on Smartphones, Weak Minds